Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Huelga General, my ass!

Today, November 14th, 2012, marks the second "Huelga General" in Spain this year.

"Huelga General" can be roughly translated as a "General Strike," which makes absolutely no sense in the English language, so I'll explain. Every once in a while when Spanish people get fed up enough with any political situation or change, they plan a huelga general. These have been going on for few decades in Spanish history, and have, on certain occasions, sparked changes in politics, law and/or society. Horray for striking and protesting! Horray! Sometimes it works. I don't know what they did in the past, but I'll tell you what they did today.

This "general" strike consists of people all over the country, regardless of where they work or what kind of business they run, going on strike for the day. Jobs don't penalize for participating, but they, of course, don't pay their politically active employees for the day. If people are feeling really passionate, they join a protest in the center of the city, which usually consists of a march, some vandalism and a couple of arrests. Shouting, chanting, drum banging, and fire-cracker throwing are all a must.

It's organized, mostly, by the unions (which work totally different than in America, hard to explain). The unions spread the word by littering propaganda on the street (they literally throw it in the street and cover all the sidewalks with flyers), and by vandalizing... yes, they spray paint the streets and buildings to advertise the huelga general. Okay, I suppose the unions don't directly spray paint the streets, but I guess their members and supporters do, which is too much negativity for my liking.

It's a strange concept. No one goes to work, small businesses close, kids don't go to school, and it sends a big fat message to the government that people aren't happy. Now, it's not a bad idea, considering that: that day the government won't make any tax money on items sold because almost everything is closed and therefore nothing will be sold (which totally makes sense for businesses during an economic recession). I guess it takes a big hit on giant electricity companies (because none of the closed stores have their lights on). It shows that lots o' people don't go to work in protest (although, c'mon, what Spanish person wouldn't take off a day of work just for the hell of it?). And that small businesses also act out in solidarity by closing.

I mean, this strike is not totally uncalled for. Actually, it's not uncalled for at all. I suppose you all know that Spain's economy is super far down the shitter right now. And what a better way to fix that problem than by closing all the stores and make the economy come to a complete standstill for an entire day!!! Okay, a part from the fact that I think the entire strike is a kinda bad idea...

This strike doesn't realistically demonstrate how many businesses want to close during an economic recession to support a huelga general because of one important thing...

An important activity that forms part of the many marches and protests that are taking place all over Spain today is the forcible closure of businesses! Yup, you heard right. Your right to stay open and choose not to participate doesn't exist at all! If you refuse to close your business today, expect broken windows and vandalism. If you have a cafe, don't worry, the terrace with all your chairs and tables will be destroyed by the protesters (this was one of the many videos on the daytime news today). Today, I saw small business owners being threatened, "If you don't close now, you know what's coming later..."

So, those small shops (and big shops!) who wanted to stay open this morning were closed by force or threat today. I talked with three small business owners today, all of which said they closed their doors for two reasons: 1. for fear of vandalism and 2. because insurance companies in Spain don't cover damage due to a huelga general. If conditions were normal, if this were at all a democratic kind of strike, they would have happily stayed open and tried to make some money today. So, you wanna stay open? Risk a few hundred or thousand euros in damages and then pay out of pocket. And those unions who protect workers rights? They only seem to protect them if you agree with them...

And, as I have understood, when these protesters come and forcibly close your business, they stick this lovely red sticker on your front window (which probably never ever comes off), which reads: "Closed by the huelga general."




Today, I'm angry. I swear I've had this burning sensation in my chest all day. To see all these small business closed by force! Businesses that I know are struggling to survive this recession by any means possible! It makes me sick. And sad. Our right to protest and to strike is sacred, as is our right not to protest and strike!

This is the least democratic form of democracy I have ever seen.


3 comments:

  1. Protest against the protest! Boycott protesting stores! Make the cycle vicious!

    Funny place, Europe. Here in Estonia, it's hard to get people to protest against -anything-, not to mention make their voice heard. We've had political scandal after political scandal, and people have just sit tight-lipped and dealt with it like a bad 40-year marriage. Luckily it's finally gotten to the point, where maybe a couple hundred people have gathered at a poorly-organized mass gathering in front of a political party's office, and those in power call it "the work of extremists". Saturday should be a big one, although won't be at all close in numbers to the rarity of what happened with the Baltic Chain (Wiki it), which had a significant impact in forcing the end of Soviet occupation.

    In short, we Northern Europeans believe Southern Europeans are lazy. And I think you may have hit upon one of the reasons for this image. I feel you, from the opposite end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, thanks for writing about such a polemic and complex subject. As spanish I like to see your external point of view. But I disagree with some points of your article, and would like to exchange some ideas with you (and your audience :-))

    First of all, Labour Strike is an international right, and here specifically recognised by the spanish constitution (from 1978). Along of the years many rights have been reached by mean of strikes. Thereby Strike is not the last crazy idea of somebody, but an important RIGHT.

    “Jobs don't penalize for participating, but they, of course, don't pay their politically active employees for the day”:
    I don’t like such an adjective for people which are simply using their rights. In that case, both people, those who work and those who go on strike, are politically actives.
    Anyway, the point here is that jobs penalize, for sure. It is not legal, of course, but employers do it in several ways. They “suggest” workers not to go on strike. Otherwise employers are not beeing renewed, can be written down on a “black-list” for future firings, or can suffer mobbing.
    Many employees go to work because they are afraid to get fired, some others cannot afford losing a one-day salary or work, and of course some others don’t want to participate on strike.

    Strikers are allowed (by law) to go on groups and inform other workers about the strike reasons and the convenience of participating. That is the idealistic way. In fact, as you said, some shops are forced to close. It is difficult to give figures about how many people participate on strike by their own or to avoid matters (with strikers or employers). Anyway, I don’t agree with such a description of vandalism and “mafia rules”. As far as I known, nobody is beeing injured neither shops damaged. In some cases you get involved in a discussion with strikers, you are insulted or shop get some sticks on it. (But yes, massmedia broadcast always the same 2 or 3 old videos with punctual “vandalism”)
    In case of big companies the pressure from strikers is bigger, just in opposition to employers pressure.
    Anyway, the right to work is also a right and must be protected.

    “Spain's economy is super far down the shitter right now. And what a better way to fix that problem than by closing all the stores and make the economy come to a complete standstill for an entire day!!!”:
    I supose you are beeing ironic and that you agree with the conservativ argument that a strike seriously damage the economical situation of the country (http://www.pp.es/actualidad-noticia/una-huelga-por-razones-politicas_7074.html)
    Actually, a strike is not intended to improve the economical figures, but for stand up for some rights that should increase population’s quality of life. In a country with 20% unemployment ratio (1 of 5 people CAN NOT have a job, and therefore cannot contribute to economy), such an argument has no sense.

    I think on the background of this discussion stay the differences between anglo-saxon and european values. In Spain collective rights are more important than individual ones. We struggle for public education, universal access to a health insurance, employment for all and a good living standard for the whole population and so on. Therefore people who cares only about their own rights, and do not participate on general strikes, are somehow not well seen.

    Hope I have explained a little bit more some points over Strikes, specially for your international audience. Unfortunately I don’t know how it works in USA and other countries and cannot compare.

    Thanks and keep on writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fist off, Jose, I am glad to hear your opinions, thanks for sharing.

    I am not against striking in any way. I think it is very, very important to be able to strike and I am happy to see that there are so many people who stand up for their rights and exercise their rights as citizens of a democratic country by going on strike. I think it is both important and should be respected. I do say this in my first paragraph, where I mention that many strikes in Spanish history solved problems and brought positive change. In no moment did I say it was a crazy after thought. I just don't agree with certain parts of this strike. I don't think it's a good idea to close businesses and quit working for a day during an economic crisis, nor do I think it's fair to forcibly close businesses on the day of the strike. But I do think it's important and encouraging to see people protest and exercise their rights.

    I think you misunderstood my description of strikers when I called them "politically active." This is not a negative adjective, it is actually quite neutral. This word describes a person who takes part in politics in any way, for example, strikes, protests or even simply people who read the news a lot. It's not negative in any way. So, I do consider that anyone who participated in the strike is very much a politically active person- and this is not a negative description, but simply a description.

    My opinion on this matter really is that striking and protesting is of course, important, and must be respected. It is important to have the right to strike just as much as it is important to have the right not to strike. I don't believe that it was a coincidence that three small business owners I know closed during the day because they were afraid of vandalism. What I am trying to say is that I think this strike has gone to an extreme where businesses are shown as "Participants" in the strike when they really may not be. How many participated because they wanted to and how many participated by force or fear? I guess we won't ever know.

    I am aware of the 25% unemployment rate, I am very aware. But I think that people the other 75% who are working probably shouldn't stop- even for a day! And lots of small businesses are struggling to survive and I think there's no argument in saying that closing a day may hurt their business.

    Onto the next theme, I don't think that my opinion is due to a problem of individualist view. (Although, of course, Americans are much more individualist than Europeans.) I am a big supporter of public education (I went to public school), employment for all, and of course, public health care. Really, I am. I hope to see Spain up and thriving again soon- but tell me how closing businesses helps this. I don't think that businesses who stayed open are bad people or don't care about others- in fact I hope you don't feel this about Pelayo and I- as we opened Rocket bar on Wednesday. But, in a crisis, you have to do what you can to keep your business AND your employees. We don't want to lose any more employees than we already have had to. And opening on Wednesday helps us do that.

    In California, when the economy was "going down the shitter," the people organized an anti-crisis protest- they encouraged everyone to participate by spending $50 that day, anywhere they wanted. Now, maybe there were a lot of families who couldn't participate. But those who did gave an extra kick to help to small businesses all over the state. I just think that, within participating in democracy and striking and protesting, there are perhaps better tactics to be used.

    I hope you keep following my blog Jose! And, when will you be at Rocket bar for a beer?

    ReplyDelete